Sunday, January 04, 2009

A Complex Carbohydrate


Is corn a vegetable or grain? I wondered this tonight while whisking handfuls of olive-oil-popped popcorn into my mouth. After moving from my position standing in front of the kitchen counter to a seat in front of the computer, I decided to put down the popcorn and do some research for an answer . . . and jeez, what I found is that no one seems to agree on one. In fact, the research only validated me for even pondering this topic, rather than feeling like the only dolt in the world who would want to know. The closest I came to believing one explanation (despite the very many to choose from, such as: "It's a grain. End of story"), is that it is a vegetable, a grain, and a fruit. (And as well, the corn plant sprouts from a seed, which happens to be the dried kernels we eat, so I guess it is a seed too. And it is classified in the grass family. So . . . I guess it's grass. ???!). Maaan. . . talk about your complex carbohydrates . . . (badabum [drum noise]).

If you are dolt enough to want an explanation, here is the link for the vege, grain, fruit trifecta theory: http://www.extension.org/faq/17275. They're all just theories anyway. . . corn is the religion in the food pyramid.

3 comments:

timbshoo said...

All I know is it doesn't digest very well...

Kirstie said...

. . . which makes it even more the religion of the food pyramid. Corn is also a fuel too.

s.k.namanny said...

linking to your research (enlightening!) led me to a whole different can of worms, namely the movement to define corn as the scourge of the modern world, and not just in the form of high fructose corn syrup, which, it turns out, is only the MOST evil thing corn does, not the ONLY. I still kind of like it in the right form and quantities.

And I'll take the "corn is a grain, period" side of the argument, if you're taking polling data.