Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Beadiest of Eyes

I saw several crocodiles today, snouts sticking above water, beady eyeballs turning the passerby's direction. I am in Florida where it is oohey gooey sticky, the ponds are thick and green, and the tropical plants are plentiful. I know these are alligators and not crocodiles because a colleague of mine and I asked at the gift shop of the resort that our company is staying at. The woman behind the counter told us they were alligators, and then she warned us not to feed them because they will eat us. Laughing, we asked, why would we feed them? Well, she said, we have found bowls outside on guests' patios. Then she told us about four fatal alligator attacks in Florida in a weeks time. Uh, great.

Our conference was let out early today so I took a bike ride around the area. About two miles from the resort the chain came off the bike and I could not get the damn thing back on, so I started walking the bike back. I passed a pond (there is a pond every couple hundred yards) and I saw the familiar snout and beady eyes. I thought, I would feel a lot safer riding past on my beach cruiser. Just then a Resort shuttle passed by and stopped and picked me and my bike up for a (thankful) ride back.

I am sensing a theme this summer -- reptiles. . .

No comments: