Friday, June 30, 2006

Not So Convenient Store

Tonight at about 10:00 pm as I was coming out of a convenience store (buying milk for the morning coffee and such -- out of soy milk), I was stopped by a punkish 14-year-old-looking boy. He circled around the parking lot on his mini bmx bike, his curly blond hair flipping up from underneath his helmet. He approached me very politely and out of his pierced mouth asked if I would buy him and his friends alcohol if they gave me money. I looked into his pleading, young blue eyes and actually stuttered for a moment.

I was surprised that it took me a minute to gather my thoughts. I felt so sorry for this kid, he was so young and cute. I have children around his age and it broke my heart to see him out there like this, especially while my kids were waiting at home for me to bring them milk.

After stuttering, I shook my head and told him, No, I can not buy you alcohol. He actually offered condolences and said that it was alright, that I was just trying to be a good person. Then as he started to ride off, I held the milk up high and said, "I have milk however, you can REALLY party with milk". He turned and chuckled. And then I told him to have a safe night.
As I drove off, one of his friends yelled something to me. The tone didn't sound mean, but it could have been because of my nerdy Got Milk comment. I wished I could have brought them home and given them a glass of milk. . .

2 comments:

s.k.namanny said...

You should have asked his name and asked your daughter if she knows him.

It's true, you can party with Soymilk.

Kirstie said...

Hannah laughed when I told her the story. She said, "I probably know who they are."

And that is when I gave her the look.