Monday, June 05, 2006

Out of the Mouths of Babes -- About Babes

(Note: I do not have my son's permission to publish this post. This probably makes me a bad parent.)

Today Cole and I were driving down the road listening to music. He was just staring out the window as a song played the chorus: "You were wrong when you said everything was gonna be alright."

(It is actually a clever little tune which also states things like -- "you were right when you said we are all just bricks in the wall. You were right when you said we are all just dust in the wind. You were right when you said we can't always get what we want" . . . and so on.)

Anyway, I wasn't sure Cole was even listening to the song until he said, "I hope that guy is not singing to a girl."

"Why?" I asked chuckling.

"Because," he said, "if you a tell a girl she is wrong, she will dump you."

"Uhhhhhh," I said. Right now I walk a fine line with Cole talking about girls. If he offers up a tid-bit, that's fine. If I begin asking questions, or question further, he will clam up and ask me to just stop talking -- alright!

He went on, "and if you tell a girl that she is wrong, and she is really right, then she really has a reason to dump you."

I wondered where in his fifth grade life he had picked up such information. But I didn't persist. I just tossled his hair and said, "you're a pretty smart kid."

2 comments:

dmo said...

And you were right when you said....a girl will dump if you tell her she's wro-o-ong.

s.k.namanny said...

I just pictured Cole at an advice stand, dispensing his very real insight for classmates for 5 bucks a session.