Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lost In the Supermarket


I love the Gruyere cheese, the nutty, tanginess of it.

I really love it mixed with other favorite ingredients to make scalloped potatos. While the Yukon gold potatos are sliced thinnly, I don't really arrange them in a way that makes the edges scalloped,-who really does? Half and half, garlic, thinly sliced onions, and a few other important ingredients layer to make pure-addicting-Fall-comfort-food-yumminess.

Tonight, while shopping for Gruyere, I met my potential future husband, Al, in the grocery store. He was cute, and blocking traffic with his shopping cart. He laughed that he was lost in the supermarket (nod to the Clash) and that he didn't know how the ladies did it. He chuckled some more and patted my arm, saying it was his turn now. I helped him find a few items in the produce section, every time I turned around Al was eagerly behind me asking another question in his sparkling voice. Al looked to be around 70 - 75 years old and said that he was now having to take care of the shopping, the cooking, and the cleaning all by himself, and it would be ideal if he could find a wife to take care of the rest.

"Oh, a sugar momma," I said to Al.

"Yes," he nodded, "it's about time I got myself a sugar momma."

He asked me to keep a look out for a sugar momma for him, but what he didn't know was that I, for a split second, entertained the ideal of taking the post myself (a little less on the sugar and more on the momma) and having Al help around the house. Although, I reasoned, Al's pace and the pace at which I would need things done would not be the same and then we would have to end things on bad terms. And there you go, a whole possiblity of beginning, middle, and end played itself to closure right in front of me.

I scurried out of the produce section promissing Al that if I ever met someone who could be his match, I would swiftly send her his direction. I was out of there, I just came along to shop happily (more nod to the Clash), I was going home to make comfort food and settle in for the evening. Al, I hope your dreams come true!

3 comments:

Molly said...

mmmmm.

Kate said...

I love you Kirstie.

s.k.namanny said...

Got any leftovers? Them taters looks good. Seriously.

skn