Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Gang of Five


At 7:30 am I gave Cole $2 to buy his morning donut and to buy two for his friend, Riley, who had covered Cole for his donuts twice before. That's the way these boys roll. Cole rides his bike to school every morning, meeting up with four other boys that join the pack along the way. The lot of them then stop at Save Mart to self check-out a donut (not a healthy breakfast, but they're eating!) and continue on to bunny-hop, wheelie, swerve and skid into Jr. high for a day of seat work and tests.
I love waving Cole off on his iconic boys' romp to school and imagine (and hope) that these will be times, when as a man, he will reflect upon fondly.

5 comments:

jonathan said...

Donuts are not only unhealthy, they are poisonous. Not really but they should go to Hilda's. It may be out of the way but I am sure the donuts are better and the extra blocks ride will be good for them.

Molly said...

I love seeing Cole and the gang riding their bikes to school in the morning. Good times, good times.

weirdbunny said...

Donughts for breakfast sounds good to me ! ~ love Julia x

Grace and Aria said...

I think I see Cole and his gang almost every morning when I'm taking my Cole to preschool on the corner of 49 and Elm! It's a group of 5 boys on their way to school (2 look like brothers.) I've had mixed emotions when I see them. I hope they are careful; they could get hurt; wow, that's so cool; I hope my kids can ride their bikes to school with their friends someday.... my children are still so little, it's hard to imagine getting to the place where I just send them out the door - I hope I can do it!!

Kirstie said...

It is a very strange transition in life when you start loosening the rope. . . but it's neccessary.