Friday, October 12, 2007

The Hills Are Alive


If you know me well, you know that "The Sound of Music" is a few of my favorite things (have I mentioned that before? No? Well, now you know). This may be why I became a little overly excited that Elisabeth von Trapp, granddaughter of Maria and Baron (Georg) von Trapp of the famous von Trapp Family Singers, is singing in Sacramento this weekend. It's not that I am overly excited about her style of music, what really got me was when I heard her interviewed on Capitol Public Radio -- a live interview with an actual von Trapp.

She had some insights into the movie, things that are true, things that poetic license had its way with. The general story is true. She mentioned specifically that these two facts are true: Maria did make the kids play clothes out of curtains, and they did climb in trees and were hanging out of them when the Baroness came to visit. In fact, Elisabeth added that her father recalled that Maria raced the kids to the top of the tree and won. Oh bliss. . .

Things that are not true: Georg, far from being the detached, cold-blooded patriarch of the family who disapproved of music, as portrayed in the first half of The Sound of Music, was actually a gentle, warmhearted parent who enjoyed musical activities with his family (thank goodness!). While this change in his character might have made for a better story in emphasizing Maria's healing effect on the von Trapps, it distressed his family greatly, especially the real life Maria (who, disappointingly, was at times prone to fits of anger). And, the von Trapp family did not escape over the Swiss Alps on foot, but rather took a train and then a boat to America. Their personal ethics and sacrifice saved them all!

Still, it is my favorite love story ever.

5 comments:

Kate said...

It is by FAR my favorite love story too. Miss you Kirstie!

Molly said...

Thanks for the insight, I wish I had heard that interview!

Kirstie said...

You're welcome Molly. Here is more: Maria actually fell in love with the children before she fell in love with her husband. He asked her to marry him, stating the kids really needed her (again, even though the fits of anger were mentioned). Maria writes in her memiors that she grew to love her husband more than anyone she had ever loved. The two eventually had three more children together while living in Vermont, on a farm, where they taught singing lessons. . . I could go on. Friday night is made for internet research.

Kirstie said...

Kate: I miss you too. Let's hang soon. I showed you some love on your blog too -- head on over.

Grace and Aria said...

Okay, can I tell you how excited I was to see this post!? I LOVE The Sound of Music. I always watch it in December while I'm wrapping Christmas presents (along with Little Women.) Have you read any books written by Maria? I need to talk to you about this in more detail. I could just Google it, though.

The other night I read a book to the kids that ended up being a scary book. Grace was freaked out that she was going to have scary dreams, so I busted out in "These are a few of my favorite things..." I knew it would come in handy some day.