Monday, October 15, 2007

Nulceus Reaction


Cole (and I) finished his 3-D model of a cell project this weekend. After forming the cell out of clay -- it kind of looks like a messy Mr. Bill -- and labeling all the parts (organelles) of the cell, Cole's next assignment was to write a short paragraph comparing an individual organelle to some modern object that performs the same job the structure does in the cell. Cole chose to write about the Nucleus, "the Main Controller," and compared the object to -- his mother! He wrote that the organelle was like his mom because she is the main controller of the family.

I felt all at once honored that he recognized my role (he is a twelve year old boy with a strong will), and startled -- I'm not controlling, I check myself daily, I could not possibly be a controlling mother. . .???

I suggested, "isn't the nucleus more of a director, it directs the activities of the cell?" Semantics.

"No", he responded, "it says in the book that the nucleus is the master controller."

"Ok, well this is a short paragraph, let's see if we can add more details."

I searched his science text book for more descriptions of the nucleus (pretty, funny, a joy to be around -- nope, it was the controller). Ok, I'll accept it.

Brent, overhearing our conversation, piped in and said, "well then I am the Endoplasmic Reticulum of the family, because the reticulum performs the job of transporter!" (Brent, who has had his license for two years, does an awesome job of moving his brother and sister from one place to another -- thank you Brent).

I was impressed with Brent's memory, now in his first year of college, he had done this same project in the 7th grade. Or, I should say, we had done the same project, and I also completed the same project with Hannah too. This was my third and last go around with the 3-D cell project, but this was the first time I had been compared to the nucleus. In the end, I feel proud to be the nucleus of my son's life. However, it must be recognized, it takes an entire cell structure to raise a child.

3 comments:

Molly said...

I'm glad your cell has a receptor for friends. That was the funniest post ever.

s.k.namanny said...

What would your wonderful daughter be in the cell?

Grace and Aria said...

It's fun to see what I have to look forward to....