Sunday, November 11, 2007

Everything's Coming Up Lemons


This is the first year the lemon tree has produced lemons -- and they are beautiful and fragrant. I believe the lemon tree has been in the backyard quite a while, but I only discovered it a few years ago. You see, when I first rented this house ten and a half years ago, thinking I was only going to live here temporarily, maybe six months or so, the backyard was so overgrown that one plant meshed into another -- it looked like a jungle. But still, the backyard was one of the main reasons I decided to take this fixer-upper. It had magic in it (and some cool rock work that a former owner, a brick mason, had created).

Seven and a half years after renting, circumstances lead me to buying the house and I threw myself into fixing it up, inside then out. Slowly I worked away at the yard -- and with one afternoon of an able bodied yard maintenance crew -- there was rhyme and reason to that space. And a lemon tree. I watered and fertilized the tree for the next two years and behold:

After the night's pouring rain, the lemons are heavy with moisture, (don't think me sick, but) somewhat resembling udders that would let down lemonade (click on photo). I guess with this house, I have made lemonade out lemons . . .

3 comments:

Grace and Aria said...

Your lemon pics are fantastic! What a great find :)

s.k.namanny said...

Let's make lemonade for the 5 way B-day!
By the by, if I ever do produce a volume of music or anything else, I want these lemon photos on the cover.

Kirstie said...

Lemonade and cupcakes -- 5 way B-Day Bonanza!

And I would be so happy to adorn any compilation of yours with these watery lemon photos.