Sunday, December 16, 2007

Feels Like The First Time


I have no photos that capture me in the act, but I went snowboarding for the first time yesterday. Every muscle in my body is verifying that fact, it hurts to move. But it hurts so good. Now that Hannah is on the Colfax High School snowboarding team, we are up at the ski resort every weekend. When we first started going I would sit in the lodge and read, or day dream, or etch away on some project for work. However, I knew it wouldn't be long before I started to give in to the itch, the itch to try something new. I love to ski, but it is so eighties.

So yesterday I strapped both my feet into a board and tried to swoosh my way down a snowy mountainside by keeping balanced on both edges of the board, leaning with my body but steering with my toes and heels, adjusting my weight forward while leaning backward using both my hips and shoulders; the long way to say staying upright. Along with being incredibly frustrating, however, it was fun. When I thought about giving up half way through the day to swap the snowboard out for some skis and just careen down the hill, I realized it is often more fun to do something we already know how to do. Still I was determined to keep trying (until my head was throbbing from falling too often) and I am going to try again next weekend too. Thirty-nine-and-a-half is a great age to start a new high impact sport with your kids.
(The purple board on the left is Hannah's old board, which is now my new board).

3 comments:

Grace and Aria said...

Good for you!! Maybe I'll give it a try when my kids are old enough to teach me ;)

s.k.namanny said...

Snow boarding is one of those rare activities that is GREAT when it's good and horrifically hellish when it isn't great.
Glad you loved it. Just save a little energy for the C.A.R.T.E.C.

skn

Kirstie said...

I'm just warming up for C.A.R.T.E.C