Monday, December 03, 2007

Post-Run Brunch


I believe I have mentioned on this blog before how much I revel in a Sunday Morning activity, (if I fell in to routines, this would be it), of a long canyon run and then home to listen to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" on the radio while I eat a nice, big breakfast -- three of many of my favorite activities (this particular Sunday began with a cup of coffee in bed and an article of fiction read out of "The New Yorker" magazine before my run. Some more of my favorite activities). Since my three teenagers now sleep to almost noon on Sunday, I virtually have the morning to myself.

I love to make a big brunch on Sundays as well, with waffles, or French Toast, or some other high carb breakfast goodness for the family. However, I was craving something more substantial this Sunday and cooked shrimp and vegetables (with garlic, oh the garlic!) while pouring batter into the waffle maker and stirring bubbly fruit compote on the stove.

You may notice in the above photo, just lurking behind the plate, is the beer I had with my breakfast. Need I advertise that fact? I had one left-over Italian beer in my fridge from the party we had last weekend, and for some reason, a beer after a long run, even if it is 11:00 am on a Sunday morning, can be a nice thing. I don't know what it is . . . maybe it's the combo of endorphins (an opiate type peptide produced by the central nervous system in response to pain) and dopamine (an endogenous [self made] amino acid that provides a pleasure/natural reward effect following certain behaviors) or being out alone in the beauty of the canyon maneuvering around the terrain that pairs so well with a beer; when I run my body goes on auto pilot and my thoughts, which usually come at me ten at a time and scatter all over the place, soon become linear and smooth. My runs are less about fitness and more about mental well-being. Throw in a hot shower at the end and it makes for the start of a great day!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Oh how I admire/envy your Sunday mornings. I think of you often while listening to Wait, Wait... And beer with brunch? What do you think George and I drink in the morning now that we don't drink coffee?

Grace and Aria said...

Yummm. Shrimp w/ veggies and a beer!? It looks good. Maybe I should start running.