Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Giving Tree (all aglow)


Growing up not celebrating holidays, I found Christmas to be quite excessive. But well into my adulthood, of all the Christmas traditions, I have grown to like the tree. I have grown to love the tree. It smells pretty, it looks stunning, and I like the warm glow and atmosphere it brings to the house. If there is nothing else I do for this holiday (besides listening to choice Christmas compilations and making cookies), it is to wrestle a tree into the house and decorate it with my family. And then sit back and enjoy.

There is little guilt involved with buying a live tree for me. I look at it the same way I do oranges that are grown in a grove, the trees are grown for this reason. You may disagree and tell me my point of view is wrong, but then you will be shattering my whole invented reality.

I was reading about creative tree disposal programs all over the nation. My favorite is an organization in Arizona that collects previously used Christmas trees, puts cement shoes on them, and drops them to the bottom of Lake Havasu. Lake Havasu is a man-made lake with a barren lake bottom. When the trees reach the bottom of the lake they form a barrier, a dwelling place for the fish to lay eggs, hatch, and grow new life in. That is a beautiful thing.

For disposing of our tree, I used to pay the Boy scouts $5 to pick it up every year. I had no ideal what they did with it. They would leave an envelope at my door, I would leave the tree outside on the designated date, and I never saw the Boyscout and he never saw me. I guess that particular Boyscout has grown up and moved on because I don't get the little envelopes outside my door any longer.

Cole and I have started a tradition of burning our tree when it has given all it can for the season. Burning may not seem environmentally sound or friendly, however, ever since I was a child I have loved FIRE. And Cole does too. We enjoy cutting the tree into pieces and squealing at the enthusiasm in which the pines crackle and burst into flames. We also like roasting marshmallows by its beautiful heat. In this way we are sharing one last moment with the tree. I do love the Christmas tree.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Ooh, I can't wait to come see your tree this year. And listen to some choice christmas compilations, and maybe drink some mulled wine. Game?

Grace and Aria said...

I love to sit and look at my tree. It's a little sad when it's gone and my house goes back to being without tree & lights.
But for now, I enjoy!!

You can also hang bread on your tree outside for the birds. (Before you burn it ;)